You must be logged in for the "Apply Today" button to appear. If you are not an SDMS member, you can create an account free of charge.
The Stephen McLaughlin Memorial Lectureship was created as a tribute to past SDMS President Stephen McLaughlin for his service to the SDMS and his dedication to promoting sonographer professionalism within the healthcare community. The lecture is presented each year at the SDMS Annual Conference in his honor.
2024 SDMS Annual Conference:
September 26 - 28, 2024
New Orleans, Louisiana
- A current SDMS member in good standing;
- A recognized luminary within the profession who has previously spoken at national or international conferences;
- Credentialed by a national sonography certification organization that is recognized by the SDMS Board of Directors (i.e., currently ARDMS, CCI); and
- Willing to serve as both an Annual Conference plenary session lecturer and an Annual Conference track speaker.
Candidate Application Requirements:
- Professional career documentation, to include CV and awards/recognition received in the last five (5) years;
- Detailed outline of the proposed lecture. (The Event Management Committee may pre-determine a topic related to sonographer professionalism or the sonography profession in general);
- One (1) to two (2) paragraphs describing the positive influence the candidate has had on the sonography community; and
- One (1) letter of recommendation from a colleague involved with the sonography community in some capacity.
Candidate Responsibilities (once nomination is accepted):
- Prepare a presentation that is 50 minutes in length, focused on sonographer professionalism or the sonography profession in general (to be reviewed by the EMC and SDMS staff).
Speaker Recognition/Honorarium: The selected Stephen McLaughlin lecturer shall receive:
- An engraved plaque;
- Two complimentary, transferable tickets to the SDMS & SDMS Foundation Awards Event held at the SDMS Annual Conference;
- Recognition at the SDMS Annual Conference and in the Journal of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JDMS), SDMS press release, and SDMS social media release;
- Complimentary full conference registration;
- Complimentary hotel accommodations; and
- Travel reimbursement
Submission Review Deadline for the 2024 Stephen McLaughlin Memorial Lectureship: December 1, 2023
Note: Each submitted proposal is carefully reviewed and will be considered by the SDMS Events Management Committee (EMC). Not all submitted proposals will be selected.