The CODE OF CONDUCT applies to the use of all websites operated by the SDMS or affiliated entities and any online services or content provided by or affiliated with the SDMS (including those provided through hosting and service providers).
NOTE: You must agree to abide by the Code of Conduct to proceed - the "I AGREE" button is located at the bottom of the Code of Conduct (near the bottom of this page).
CODE OF CONDUCT: TABLE OF CONTENTS
- SDMS Collaborate Rules & Etiquette Guidelines
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act Compliance
- External Sites
Table of Contents
SDMS COLLABORATE RULES & ETIQUETTE GUIDELINES
Effective June 18, 2017; Modified January 9, 2018 (see 10. Added restrictions on harvesting and using email addresses for bulk/spam)
By using SDMS Collaborate, the User agrees and affirms that they have read and will follow these rules and etiquette guidelines. Questions about SDMS Collaborate may be directed to the SDMS Membership Department via the Contact Us link on this website.
Please take a moment to become acquainted with these important rules and etiquette guidelines. To preserve an environment that encourages both civil and fruitful dialogue, the SDMS reserves, at its sole discretion, the right to suspend or terminate access to the SDMS Collaborate content for anyone who violates these rules. Violations of these rules could also result in termination of a person's or organization's SDMS membership.
SDMS Collaborate Rules
1. NO MODERATORS. While volunteers, Board members, or staff may post and encourage discussion on relevant topics, the SDMS Collaborate communities are not considered moderated (i.e., messages are not reviewed before being available to other Users). Each User is expected to use sound judgment and always exhibit professionalism when using SDMS Collaborate. If a User believes a posting is inappropriate or violates the Code of Conduct or these rules, contact the SDMS via the Contact Us link on this website.
2. MEDICAL INFORMATION. The SDMS Collaborate communities are intended for medical professionals (or students). The medical information and images may not be suitable for children or other users outside of medical professions.
3. LEGAL OR MEDICAL ADVICE. No legal or medical advice is provided on SDMS Collaborate. Information related to legal or medical issues may be shared based on a person's opinion, knowledge, or experience, but shall not be considered a diagnosis or legal opinion. All Users should consider obtaining legal counsel or medical advice prior to relying on any posted information.
4. RESPECT OTHERS. Focus on the content of posts and not on the people making them. Please extend the benefit of the doubt to newer guests and members; there's no such thing as a stupid question.
5. RESPECT THE PURPOSE OF THE COMMUNITY. Use the communities to share successes, challenges, constructive feedback, questions, and goals rather than products or services the User provides.
EMPLOYERS: Do not post employment/job openings in SDMS Collaborate.
JOB SEEKERS: Do not post messages seeking employment in SDMS Collaborate.
Please use the SDMS Job Board instead.
6. USE CAUTION WHEN DISCUSSING PERSONS, ENTITIES, PRODUCTS, OR SERVICES. Information posted on SDMS Collaborate is available for all to see, and all comments may be subject to the United States or international libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
7. PROHIBITED CONTENT. All material that, in the sole judgement of the SDMS, that is abusive, defamatory, harassing, inappropriate, invasion of privacy, obscene, offensive, profane, threatening, or illegal or promotes discrimination based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability or veteran status is strictly prohibited. A User should not post anything they would not want the world to see or that they would not want anyone to know came from them. Posting prohibited content may result in the termination of the User's access one or more of the SDMS websites, termination of SDMS membership (in accordance with SDMS Bylaws and Board policies), or civil or criminal action.
8. ANTITRUST COMPLIANCE. Content should not be posted if it encourages or facilitates any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Content that encourages or facilitates an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: salaries; prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of a customer or supplier.
9. RESPECT INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. A User may only post content that they have personally created or have permission to use and have properly attributed to the content creator. While posting a small excerpt for educational purposes from a copyrighted work (with proper attribution) is generally permitted, whenever possible, the User should post a link to external online information rather than copying and posting it on SDMS Collaborate.
10. RESTRICTIONS ON USE. When posting items in our collaborative environment, please indicate if the item is not available for reuse. It is also advisable to contact the owner of any material if the User would like to reuse it. Users shall not harvest email addresses of other SDMS Collaborate Users or use SDMS Collaborate to send bulk, spam, or commercial email. The SDMS explicitly reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to restrict or remove access to SDMS Collaborate for Users who violate these restrictions.
11. APPROPRIATENESS OF CONTENT. Post messages or documents only to the most appropriate communities on SDMS Collaborate. This helps ensure all messages receive the best response by eliminating "noise." The SDMS explicitly reserves the right to move, remove, or edit any material, at its sole discretion.
12. USER-PROVIDED CONTENT. By posting or contributing content to an SDMS website, including but not limited to the SDMS Image Library, the User is granting the SDMS a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, and worldwide license to use the posted content in connection with the operation of the SDMS and its websites, including, without limitation, the license rights to copy, distribute, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, reproduce, edit, translate and reformat the content, and/or to incorporate it into a collective work. All other commercial use requires the prior written permission of the copyright holder. Note that some content may be subject to a Creative Commons license (https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/).
13. SDMS IMAGE LIBRARY. Images, videos, and other files ("files”) posted in the SDMS Image Library or other libraries may be copyrighted, but submission provides a non-exclusive right to our community Users to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use for non-commercial, educational purposes only.
14. USE OF SDMS IMAGE LIBRARY OR OTHER FILES. Images, videos, and other files ("files") posted in the SDMS Image Library, other libraries, or Communities may be copyrighted, but submission provides a non-exclusive right to our community Users to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use for non-commercial, educational purposes only. By uploading a file, the User is providing the SDMS and its affiliated entities with a worldwide, non-exclusive right to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use the file, including any commercial use, at its sole discretion.
15. COMPUTER/DEVICE SECURITY: Users should ensure they are accessing the SDMS Collaborate communities or any other SDMS-related websites, services, servers, computers, or data only using a computer or other device with an up-to-date operating system, web browser, and antivirus/malware detection software. The SDMS explicitly reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to limit or block access to the communities or any other SDMS-related websites, services, servers, computers, or data if it deems it necessary to protect the SDMS, its members and customers, its equipment, or its public, confidential, or proprietary information.
16. SECURITY OF UPLOADED/DOWNLOADED FILES. By uploading any file to the SDMS Collaborate communities and the SDMS Image Library, the User affirms that each file submitted has been scanned to ensure the file is not infected with a virus or malware and does not contain macros or scripts. While the hosting service for SDMS Collaborate scans uploaded files with anti-virus/malware scanning software, the SDMS or their officers, directors, agents, employees, volunteers, or any third party working on behalf of the SDMS shall not be liable for any harm that may result from the use of any file uploaded to or downloaded from the SDMS Collaborate communities or SDMS Image Library. If a User believes a file downloaded from SDMS Collaborate might be infected, the User should contact the SDMS Information Technology Department via the Contact Us link on this website as soon as possible.
17. ACCESSING DATA BELONGING TO OTHER USERS, THE SDMS, OR OTHER AFFILIATED ENTITIES. No User may impersonate another user nor access data, information, or software belonging to other Users, the SDMS or its affiliated entities, including vendors or service providers (e.g., website hosting company). The use of any software, tool, or device to access, hack, or de-compile any service or information provided by the SDMS is prohibited and the responsible party may be subject to civil or criminal penalties.
18. REMOVAL OF USER-PROVIDED CONTENT. The SDMS retains the right to remove any User-provided content including, but not limited to: text, images, or other files. The SDMS may withdraw its permission for use of text, images, or other files at any time, at its sole discretion. The SDMS also retains the right to prohibit a User from posting user-provided content, at its sole discretion.
SDMS Collaborate Etiquette
1. BE CONCISE. State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
2. AVOID "REPLY TO ALL" MESSAGES. Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to the applicable person, not to the entire list. Do this by using the "Reply to Sender" link in each message.
3. ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGES. Do not send administrative messages, such as "remove me from the list,” to the group. Instead, use the web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a list. If you are changing email addresses, you do not need to remove yourself from the list and rejoin under your new email address – simply change your profile settings.
Table of Contents